My current research explores the connections between the following:
a. Environmental Health
b. Public Health
c. Fiscal health
These three categories are arguably the largest problems facing the US, if not the planet.
They are inextricably linked to and determined by the following systems:
1. The Urban System, which generates urban (or suburban or rural) form.
2. The Economic System, which generates monetized wealth, and arranges for its distribution
3. The Food System, which produces foodstuffs and arranges for their distribution
4. The Energy System, which produces energy, and arranges for its distribution
5. The Medical System, which provides ongoing maintenance for human resources.
These five Systems are, of course, interrelated and interdependent. Transformation of one necessitates transformation of most of the others, making the task of transitioning to a better world a minefield of entrenched powerful interests which overwhelmingly favor the status quo. Nevertheless, the current status quo for all of these systems is inexorably destroying the planet, and it is irresponsible for this generation to refuse to change and guarantee the survival of future generations.
Analyzing the various connections and interdeoendencies amongst a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, then developing the specific tactics and strategies to overcome the entrenched interests of the status quo will be the topics for this blog.